Libel and Defamation
2. The plaintiff was identified or is identifiable
3. There was actual injury in the form of monetary losses, impairment of reputation, humiliation, or mental anguish and suffering.
4. The publisher of the statement was malicious or negligent
Psshhhhh! That’s a Lot! As you can see defamation suits are often hard to prove.
Here is a way to AVOID DEFAMATION SUITS
“Watch your Langauge”—#thatisall
Authorship over 1. literary works,2. musical works 3. dramatic works 4. pantomimes and choreographic works 5. pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works 6. motion pictures 7. sound recordings
A copyright protects original material for the life of the creator plus 70 years for individual works for 95 years from publication for copyrights held by corporations
- Federal Trade Commission-Ensures that advertisements are not deceptive or misleading
- Securities and Exchange Commission-provide guidelines on public disclosure and inside trading
- Federal Communications Commission-provides licenses to radio and television stations, allocates frequencies, and ensures that the public airwaves are used in the public interest.
- Food and Drug Administration-oversees the advertising and promotion of prescription drugs, over the counter medicines, and public relation firms who “causes the misbranding of products”
All Material from Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques 6th Edition